[D9, EA, EVENT] The Consent of the Governed

Cearnach

[D9, EA, EVENT] The Consent of the Governed

Post by Cearnach » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:38 am

This is a Roleplay event for characters who saved their boats or swam to shore in Step D of Rosencrantz's Dilemma.

The events of the morning appear to have taken a dark turn. Having rowed your way safely to shore, you must contend with the throng of Londoners who have gathered on bridge and shoreline to meet you. They don't seem particularly happy to see you.

The crowd hems you in on the water's edge. No one says a word, but it is clear from their expressions that they have unfinished business with somebody, and that they aren't about to just let you walk out of here. It might be time to engage in some talk.

Sure enough, three men make their way through the crowd to articulate the will of the people.

1) One Peasant Really Looks Much the Same As Another, Right?

Recognize tests are applicable here, as the men do not introduce themselves, but successful characters will recognize at least the Mayor of London. The other two are recognizable if you succeed with a margin of 5 as the Master of the Merchants' Guild and the Master of the Brotherhood of Bakers--powerful guilds in town.

2) A Frank Exchange of Views

The man perhaps recognized as the Mayor of London spreads his hands to show that he is unarmed. The effect is dampened somewhat by the fact that quite a few of his fellow citizens are packing dangerous-looking tools of their trades. His accent is somewhat cultivated. Clearly he has had at least a little learning, but it is still decidedly English.

"My lords; we require your assistance in a matter of justice."

The man at his right, the Master of the Brotherhood of Bakers speaks up, gesturing with one meaty hand to the White Tower just down river.

"That bastard of a Sheriff is a thief an' a liar, he is!"

"YEAH!" comes the unanimous consent of the crowd. There is a frisson of danger, here. You can feel the pressure as the circle tightens. It is going to take some fast talking to manage this one.

Rules: The assembled citizens of London are clearly upset. And when Londoners get upset, they form mobs. Big, ugly, noble-shredding mobs. You are now participating in a conversation with the leaders of the mob. You will progress through this event by making 10 total successful rolls in the course of conversation with the people of London without failing more than 4 times.

The following rules apply:
* At 5 failures, the Citizens of London take hostages. Those that resist will be killed.

* If the citizens of London were offered compensation in the plans for the expansion of the Tower of London, each players receives a +3 bonus to their rolls as the crowd is less skeptical of the nobility's good intentions.

* Dispute or disagreement among the nobles will not be smiled upon by the citizens of London. Characters that argue or snipe at each other at this moment have the potential to incite the crowd, and must make an additional Courtesy check to maintain decorum, or you might make the crowd nervous. Failure on this second check counts as a failure for the purposes of the event.

* What agreement (if any) you make with the Citizens of London will be expected to be acted upon. Fair Warning: Failure to follow through might lead to other complications down the line.
Gm * Man of Angles * Sionnach * Scealai *

Every phrase and every sentence is an end and a beginning,/Every poem an epitaph. And any action/Is a step to the block, to the fire, down the sea's throat/Or to an illegible stone: and that is where we start.
We die with the dying:/See, they depart, and we go with them./We are born with the dead:/See, they return, and bring us with them./The moment of the rose and the moment of the yew-tree/Are of equal duration. A people without history/Is not redeemed from time, for history is a pattern/Of timeless moments. So, while the light fails/On a winter's afternoon, in a secluded chapel/History is now and England
--Eliot, Little Gidding

Giles de Braose

Re: [D9, EA, EVENT] The Consent of the Governed

Post by Giles de Braose » Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:37 am

Giles is still a little waterlogged from his impromptu swim and the river water blocking his ears prevents him from recognizing the Mayor's voice, the other two speakers he had absolutely no clue about, but he could tell they were upset about something.

D9 EA Recognize Mayor 10, Baker 5, Merchant 5: 3#1d20 12 19 9

"Please, please." Giles implores the crowd as they press in. "Not all of us are from around here, so if..." the small man coughs up another mouthful of water.

"If you could be a little slower we'll be happy to help, but who is a what now? You have dispute with a local Sheriff?"
d'Aubigny Vassal * Man of the cloth * Glory: 192 * Romantic * Legend of Mercy * Well read *
Distinctive Features: Dep baritone singing voice, long slender fingers
Carries: Satchel of tomes, writing equipment, first aid kit
French, Breton, Latin, Occitane, Welsh

Cearnach

Post by Cearnach » Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:28 am

"You're damn right!" comes a shout from the crowd.

The mayor raises his hands for calm. It's the Baker's guild head that speaks up. "We've been trying to get a message through to the King, but you lot up there in Westminster don't have an ear for honest folk! No! So it's pay up no matter what the bastard in the Tower asks."

Every phrase and every sentence is an end and a beginning,/Every poem an epitaph. And any action/Is a step to the block, to the fire, down the sea's throat/Or to an illegible stone: and that is where we start.
We die with the dying:/See, they depart, and we go with them./We are born with the dead:/See, they return, and bring us with them./The moment of the rose and the moment of the yew-tree/Are of equal duration. A people without history/Is not redeemed from time, for history is a pattern/Of timeless moments. So, while the light fails/On a winter's afternoon, in a secluded chapel/History is now and England
--Eliot, Little Gidding

Geoffrey of Tournemine

Post by Geoffrey of Tournemine » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:38 am

Geoffrey is soaked through after being dragged out of the river by the mob. He coughs and sputters a bit...

"Lord Mayor," he says in greeting, offering a nod to him and the important man at his side. Third... what third? That's just another of the angry crowd right? If the baker was important at all, there was no acknowledgement of the fact. He was ignored like the rest of the crowd in favor of those that actually spoke for him.

When the baker speaks up over the mayor, Geoffrey looks slightly annoyed with him. Some common jag off speaking for their leader.

He focuses his attention on the Mayor and the Merchant Guild leader after regaining regular breath. "I'm distressed to hear such accusations. What are the specific allegations of thievery and dishonesty? I would know fully what the precise issues are so that I might help. I don't let such abuses stand in my town, I will see how I can help here in yours."

He is angling to figure out how the leaders of the mob can find legal recourse. Perhaps with official charges or complaint against the sheriff.

D9 EA, Recognize, TN 10, 5 & 5: 3#1d20 7 11 20

D9 EA, 1 of 10, Stewardship, TN 15: 1d20 10
1 of 10 successes
Knight Baron Geoffrey of Crahen, of the house Tournamine * Glory: 1175 * House: de Blondeville * Striking * Flirtatious
Legendary Passion: Energetic * Traits: Red Hair, Bright Eyes, Charming Accent
Clothing: Noble clothing, sword
Battle gear: Chainmail, Shield, Battle Axe, Dagger
Speaks: French, Latin, Occitan

Giles de Braose

Post by Giles de Braose » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:46 am

While Geoffrey engages with the Guild leader and the Mayor, who now that he has been addressed Giles manages to put the face and name together, Giles tries to defray any contention from the third individual apparently leading the mob.

He had no idea who the man was, but the other two seemed to consider him worth standing beside so he spoke softly to the gentleman. "Pay up? Good sir if someone is shaking you and yours down for money, well that's just unconscionable. Believe me, I worked on the proposal for the redesigned Tower and there were funds aplenty set aside to relocate any civilians who lost their homes or businesses due to the expansion. If the money isn't finding its way to the right people, even worse if you're being asked to pay, then this is a wrong that cannot stand!"

D9 EA Orate to the Baker TN13: 1d20 17

But something about his words rang hollow.

RUNNING TOTAL
1 Success
1 failure
d'Aubigny Vassal * Man of the cloth * Glory: 192 * Romantic * Legend of Mercy * Well read *

Cearnach

Post by Cearnach » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:54 pm

The Mayor speaks quietly. "It's not the relocation. No, see, the Sheriff of London gets to live in the Tower, and there's a special tax on grain that gets sold on the City's grain pier, to feed the King and his family when they're in residence, see. That's the issue."

--Eliot, Little Gidding

Geoffrey of Tournemine

Post by Geoffrey of Tournemine » Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:19 pm

"So you are being overtaxed beyond what has been taxed before? Has this tax been in place for longer than the previous king sat on the throne? Or is this a new tax being levied by the sheriff with no prior warning?" He seemed legitimately curious, not meaning to come off as saying 'suck it up' but rather 'what are the legal issues we need to overcome'. It was obvious from his intent that Geoffrey wanted to come to a peaceful and amicable solution through legal means that did not hurt the people of London.

On the heels of them trying to drown him... for shame.

D9 EA, 3 of 10, Stewardship, +3 for previous plans, TN 18: 1d20 18
Crit Success
Knight Baron Geoffrey of Crahen, of the house Tournamine * Glory: 1175 * House: de Blondeville * Striking * Flirtatious

Cearnach

Post by Cearnach » Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:41 pm

The Master of the Merchants replies.

"Well, the tax 'as always been since King William came from France, but it's only s'posed to be for the King's Family when they're in residence at the Tower, but only from th'one pier, and even then only enough to feed 'em. The Sheriff's been collecting it on all grain as travels past th'Tower, which is all grain on the Thames. Linin' 'is pockets, 'e is!"

--Eliot, Little Gidding

Giles de Braose

Post by Giles de Braose » Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:45 pm

"And those are taxes that unfortunately you will be unlikely to see returned." GIles sadly observed. "However, if the King hears that taxes, his taxes, taxes that could be utilized to help rebuild his White Tower are instead lining the pockets of a lowly bureaucrat? Their loss may be turned into some small gain in the long run."

"I imagine that he won't be pleased at all. The Offices if State have all experienced a shakeup, with the right word in the right ear there might be more reorganization yet to come."

D9 EA Intrigue Event! TN18: 1d20 3

RUNNING TOTAL
1 failure
2 success
1 crit success

Cearnach

Post by Cearnach » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:06 pm

"Stuff the council!" comes a quickly hushed cry from the crowd.

The Mayor winces. "Look, we haven't got a lot of traction from councilors in the past. We were really hoping that the king would give us some time, but his councilor sent me packing on three occasions. We're getting tired of paying what we don't owe."

--Eliot, Little Gidding

Geoffrey of Tournemine

Post by Geoffrey of Tournemine » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:33 pm

"I understand, tensions are high, you are being taken advantage of. But there are options now that you have gotten attention. But you should not consider continuing this path of anger an option. The sheriff will answer for his actions when he stands in judgement. But when you are judged for what you do i this moment, let it be for forgiveness. And let those who hear your concerns seek justice over vengeance."

D9 EA, Religion [Roman Christianity], +3 tower compensation, TN 13: 1d20 12

RUNNING TOTAL
1 failure
3 success
1 crit success

William de Mandeville

Post by William de Mandeville » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:35 am

"And I shall personally guarantee you a hearing, whatever that varlet Longchamp might say," the Earl of Essex adds. "I think between us Lord Crehen and I have enough authority to gain that much."

Courtesy roll, success

Total
1 failure
4 success
1 critical success
Earl of Essex * Earl of Aumale * Forgiving * Honest * Suspicious * Valorous * Honorable *

French, Latin, Arabic

Cearnach

Post by Cearnach » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:41 am

The Mayor frowns. "I do appreciate your assurances. And yes, it had occurred to me that we might face difficulty over this, but sometimes the people need to take action to be heard. I'm sure you can understand that."

--Eliot, Little Gidding

Giles de Braose

Post by Giles de Braose » Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:13 am

"And it looks like you have been heard Lord Mayor, I am only sorry that you could not be heard earlier before this reached the point it has." Giles softly spoke, trying to remind the man of the words they had exchanged in St Edwards Chapel many nights ago.

"Just remember that mortal man is possessed of neither the infinite wisdom or patience of our Lord God. But those of us who can will do what we can to tend the flock."

D9 EA Religion on the Lord Mayor TN13: 1d20 18 - FAILURE

Total
2 failure
4 success
1 critical success

Geoffrey of Tournemine

Post by Geoffrey of Tournemine » Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:24 am

William de Mandeville wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:35 am
"And I shall personally guarantee you a hearing, whatever that varlet Longchamp might say," the Earl of Essex adds. "I think between us Lord Crehen and I have enough authority to gain that much."
To this, Geoffrey adds his emphatic agreement. "On my honor I will do what I can to work with Earl Essex and see the matter addressed. I would not treat my own people like this and I have the same expectation of those in positions of power. It is our duty to be just and fair. Failure in that is intolerable.

Total
2 failure
5 success
1 critical success

Cearnach

Post by Cearnach » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:09 am

The Mayor nods. "Alright. Alright." He then turns back to the crowd. "Our efforts have been vindicated!"

"Vindi-what-ed? Wozzat, some sort of fancy way of saying shat on?"

"Sounds sort of like Wind-icated. Maybe they farted on our legitimate grievances!"

"AAAAARGH! I AM GENERALLY ANGRY ABOUT MANY FACTORS RELATED TO THE POLITICAL ECONOMY THAT RENDERS ME MOSTLY POWERLESS AND DENIES ME A SAY IN MOST DECISIONS IN MY LIFE, AND THE ALLEVIATION OF THIS ONEROUS BURDEN ONLY THROWS THE OTHERS IN STARK RELIEF! I FEEL LIKE GENERALIZED VIOLENCE WOULD HELP RELIEVE ME OF THE TREMENDOUS FEELING OF OPPRESSION UNDER WHICH I SUFFER EVERY DAY!"

"Yeah! I concur!"

"Let's see if they really do bleed blue!"

The Mayor looks concerned.

"I must say this is unexpected. I had no idea that, when presented with an opportunity to perform violence against their political and economic oppressors, a large subset of the community would leap at the chance! I was firmly convinced they would stop at threats!"

--Eliot, Little Gidding

Richard de Redvers

Post by Richard de Redvers » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:24 am

The Earl of Devon, just 15 and noticeably less wet than the rest of the nobles present, draws himself up to his full height and calls out:

"Men of London! I hear your anguish, and it wounds me to my soul. The dishonor of the Sheriff of the White Tower has been made known to me through your Mayor, and it has been decided that he will be conveyed in my boat to the King so that your evidence of this wrong can be heard, and, as King Richard is a good and just man, I know that he will punish the wicked!"

Loyalty (Lord) Passion Success
Orate roll Success.
Earl of Devon * Earl of Cornwall * Lord of the Channel Islands * 15 years old * Forgiving * Worldly * Reckless

French, Latin

Cearnach

Post by Cearnach » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:28 am

There is a pause, and then a massive intake of breath and a shout: "GET THE--!"

"Wait a minute!" someone interrupts. "That kid is really shiny! Obviously everything he says is true!"

"That doesn't make any sense!"

"Sure it does! When have you every met a person that clean, excepting he was known to the King personal-like?"

"Father Ulfbehrt's that clean!"

"Yeah, but he's a churchman. This kid ain't a churchman! Ain't got a collar or nothin'!"

The crowd begins to bicker and argue among itself, but the killing passion seems to have dissipated for a moment.

Current totals:

2 failures
7 successes
1 Critical success.

2 more good rolls might just see us through.

--Eliot, Little Gidding

Giles de Braose

Post by Giles de Braose » Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:43 am

Feeling the mood of the crowd start to turn violent, GIles quickly steps over to one of the less mud encrusted clumps of common women and whispers gently in their direction.

"Come now isn't there a more pleasant way to ease all this frustration than violence? In fact, you see those boys over there? I saw them staring in your direction all hungry like."

D9 EA Flirting TN13: 1d20 9

Current totals:

2 failures
8 successes
1 Critical success.

Cearnach

Post by Cearnach » Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:29 am

"What? Well, well, well, so they are..." And she is gone, forcing a way through the crowd that creates enough distraction for the Mayor to bring the Master of Merchants, the knights, the Master of the Bakers Guild, the Earls, and Giles de Braose into Richard Redvers' boat. It is cramped. It is uncomfortable. But the strength on the oars is something fierce.

And you are all able to make it home.

--Eliot, Little Gidding

Giles de Braose

Post by Giles de Braose » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:18 am

"But I'm not even dry from the first..." Giles starts to protest before he sees the crowd surging again.

"On second thoughts..." Giles swallows his objections and grabs an oar.

Geoffrey of Tournemine

Post by Geoffrey of Tournemine » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:26 pm

Geoffrey has no such disputes with leaving. He gets in the boat and boats on back to safety.