D10LM, Avon Calling? (Closed)

Andre l'Ecrivain

D10LM, Avon Calling? (Closed)

Post by Andre l'Ecrivain » Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:03 pm

Andre, books and scrolls in hand, presents himself at the royal apartments, entreating entry "on a matter of some importance to the King and his legacy."
Andre l'Ecrivain, called Andrea Scriptor in the Learned Tongue, Dryw Bwydo in the speech of the west, and Andric Bocere in the speech of the lower English
Son of Gilles d'Agnatu, baron in service to the de Clares
Nothing Legendary...yet
168 Glory
Wears fine clothes, rich if in court; has writing materials and likely a book or two tucked in the sleeves.
Heavyset and beardly
Speaking, "writing," thinking; d'Oil, Latin, Welsh, English

King Richard Lionheart

Re: D10LM, Avon Calling? (Closed)

Post by King Richard Lionheart » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:47 pm

Andre is shown into the receiving area, there to find Richard and Longchamp poring over a document. After a brief pause, Richard looks up, squints, and says: "Ah, yes, the writer. You want something to do with my legacy?"
* Rex * Valorous * Energetic * Reckless * Honorable * Zealous

Speaking: French, Occitan

Andre l'Ecrivain

Post by Andre l'Ecrivain » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:23 am

Andre lowers his bulk to kneel and replies "Something on that order, my king. For it has been the prerogative of the kings England of the past, may they rest in peace, that they promulgate laws upon or soon after their ascent to the throne, reaffirming the good laws of old and offering the adjustments that are needed from time to time in any endeavor in this fallen world. It is a worthy thing, and a good thing, bringing the corporeal kingdom more in line with that of the Kingdom to Come, for which all right-thinking Christian people yearn. Not all are fit to press forth as the mighty to do valorous deeds of arms, and yet they will need good governance even so.

"And it is in the hope of being of service in this manner, putting such talents as God has given to me to such use as they may find, that I have worked to compile a list of laws, recorded in sundry books and approved by the predecessors of the king--may God reward them, and save him--and such other words as might be thought good to have known as law in this land of England, for the approval of the current king. I offer this labor, and the work of the pen it promises, as my humble service to the Throne, may it stand long, and may he who sits upon it live long and well."

He lifts up a small stack of parchment, neatly copied and almost oppressively erudite, and in Latin--the language of law and ritual of old--for the king's pleasure.

~~~~~
Rolls for this action are in PF, here
Andre l'Ecrivain, called Andrea Scriptor in the Learned Tongue, Dryw Bwydo in the speech of the west, and Andric Bocere in the speech of the lower English
Nothing Legendary...yet
168 Glory
Wears fine clothes, rich if in court; has writing materials and likely a book or two tucked in the sleeves.
Heavyset and beardly

King Richard Lionheart

Post by King Richard Lionheart » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:16 pm

Richard blinks. "Thanks." He looks up at Longchamp, who comes forward to take the list. "I guess we'll look it over. There anything in here I should know about before I find out for myself?"

Andre l'Ecrivain

Post by Andre l'Ecrivain » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:00 pm

"Mostly, my king, it concerns reaffirming older principles," Andre replies. "The continuity of the kingship and the people is emphasized, deferring to the wisdom of our forebears where we can. Obviously, some things have changed since the days of our grandfathers, but much remains the same--such as the commitment to the faith that is borne out by zeal for the Crusade."
Nothing Legendary...yet
168 Glory
Heavyset and beardly

King Richard Lionheart

Post by King Richard Lionheart » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:36 pm

"Right." The King leans forward. "Probably best if you got specific. I heard something general about continuity of kingship. Are you making choices about the succession process?"

Andre l'Ecrivain

Post by Andre l'Ecrivain » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:52 pm

"No, my king," Andre says. "That would be a matter for the king's own household to determine, of course.

"No, rather, it would be an affirmation that the laws that have been in place, and under which people have lived in good faith as long as there has been good faith in this land, remain so, that those who have enjoyed the rewards of good and true service continue to enjoy them, as were given to them by previous kings. It is traditional for kings of England to do such and make such proclamations, even to William I of praiseworthy memory and before him, and it would be a comfort to those who remain in the kingdom while the king is on Crusade to know, rather than guess, the will of their sovereign."
Nothing Legendary...yet
168 Glory
Heavyset and beardly

King Richard Lionheart

Post by King Richard Lionheart » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:08 pm

"Right. There's sense to that. So this just maintains the status quo? Longchamp's not going to be surprised by anything he finds in here?"

Andre l'Ecrivain

Post by Andre l'Ecrivain » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:26 am

"I couldn't speak to milord's expectations, my king," Andre replies, admittedly cautiously. "But it is very much in line with historical precedent, keeping as much in place as can be."
Nothing Legendary...yet
168 Glory
Heavyset and beardly

King Richard Lionheart

Post by King Richard Lionheart » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:41 pm

"Excellent." He leans back in his chair and nods. "Well, I'll have Longchamp look it over and we'll take what we can. Thanks for your help, you can go."

+30 Glory to Andre l'Ecrivain

Andre l'Ecrivain

Post by Andre l'Ecrivain » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:48 pm

Andre bows to his king, gives a shallower bow to Longchamp, and makes his /exit from the /scene, with thanks!
Nothing Legendary...yet
168 Glory
Heavyset and beardly