[D10, EA, EVENT] Other Lions, Other Rooms

Cearnach

[D10, EA, EVENT] Other Lions, Other Rooms

Post by Cearnach » Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:31 pm

This is a Roleplay Event for up to 4 characters.

It has been much remarked upon, the surfeit of lions here at court. Richard Lionheart, William the Lion of Justice, and the cubs of Henry the Lion have all passed their time on the stage here. The first two have roared from time to time; Richard boldly and often, William somewhat more judiciously. But the cubs have yet to bare their claws, throw back their shoulder, and let loose a shout to shake the heavens as their fallen father might have done.

Judging by the look on the face of William of Brunswick as he mounts the steps of the Abbey, it might just be that time...
Gm * Man of Angles * Sionnach * Scealai *

Every phrase and every sentence is an end and a beginning,/Every poem an epitaph. And any action/Is a step to the block, to the fire, down the sea's throat/Or to an illegible stone: and that is where we start.
We die with the dying:/See, they depart, and we go with them./We are born with the dead:/See, they return, and bring us with them./The moment of the rose and the moment of the yew-tree/Are of equal duration. A people without history/Is not redeemed from time, for history is a pattern/Of timeless moments. So, while the light fails/On a winter's afternoon, in a secluded chapel/History is now and England
--Eliot, Little Gidding

William of Brunswick

Re: [D10, EA, EVENT] Other Lions, Other Rooms

Post by William of Brunswick » Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:32 pm

The wind whips William's shock of blond hair around the crown of his head. His expression is stern, determined. A small crowd has begun to gather. You see the aged Earl of Oxford among them, as well as the Earl of Arundel, but it seems that the young German prince has no idea of their presence. Instead, once the crowd has reached a likely size, he throws his shoulders back and cries out:

"You know me, men of England! I was born but a day's ride to the west, in Winchester, and well do I remember the proud bells of St. Swithun's ringing out on Easter! Each great toll seemed to bind the promise of resurrection to the realm of England as it spread its great circle across the countryside. Happy was that time, and happy its king. I know that with my Uncle's reign, England will feel its strength restored, and know such happy times once more!"

There is a cheer that rises up from some of the younger English knights at this prophecy, for it is a good one.

"But while you may know the promise of the resurrection, there are other realms I have known which lie in darkness, broken, shorn of hope. My father governed the people of Saxony with justice, as befits a true Lion! But another has laid his castles low, broken his people's spirit, and cast him into exile. He did this because my father refused to take up arms against the Holy Church. Five times Barbarossa marched into Italy to place the Holy Father under his heel, and five times my father refused him. The Lombards threw the tyrant back into Germany, but he had the strength to wreak his revenge against a noble man.

Even now, the tyrant makes his way at the head of a great army to place the Kingdom of Heaven under his influence. For if he could not subjugate God's Church, then the Holy City will have to suffice! What expiation can such a tyrant hope to receive, when his motives are so foul? What honor is due him? None, I say! And I intend, with the strength of my arm and my right, to bring the salvation that the people of Saxony crave. I will break his chains, and my people will know justice once more! Any man who raises his sword with me in this will be known a true knight, and will make such a song as will never be forgotten!
Kind of a Big Deal * The King's Nephew * Rightful Duke of Saxony * Rightful Lord of Luneburg * Son of the Lion *

French, Latin, German

Earl William d'Aubigny

Post by Earl William d'Aubigny » Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:33 pm

"Bold words for one so young," Arundel says. "And they have some truth in them, save the madness you speak against the Crusade. What matter Barbarossa's motives if he wins the city for God? What sin could stand in the face of such penance as to battle life for life in the name of that holy place? How can we stake a claim to holiness if we stab a man who has taken the cross in the back?"

A murmur of confusion begins to spread through the crowd. The triumphalism of William of Brunswick seems to have found a challenger.
Earl of Arundel * Pious * Energetic * Zealous * Patron of the Order of St. Lazarus *

French, Greek, Latin

Cearnach

Post by Cearnach » Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:33 pm

Event Rules
This is a roleplay event in which characters may attempt to sway the crowd to back William of Brunswick's coup de main to take back Henry the Lion's patrimony from Frederick Barbarossa, or may instead argue against it.

The first position to have 6 successful rolls in support of it will be considered to have carried the day, and events will proceed post-game in accordance with the exact formulation of the argument.

Characters who have a legendary Crusading Zeal must test it if they wish to argue on behalf of William of Brunswick. Other ramifications may happen depending on the arguments in question. Everything will be watched carefully and taken into account.
Gm * Man of Angles * Sionnach * Scealai *

Every phrase and every sentence is an end and a beginning,/Every poem an epitaph. And any action/Is a step to the block, to the fire, down the sea's throat/Or to an illegible stone: and that is where we start.
We die with the dying:/See, they depart, and we go with them./We are born with the dead:/See, they return, and bring us with them./The moment of the rose and the moment of the yew-tree/Are of equal duration. A people without history/Is not redeemed from time, for history is a pattern/Of timeless moments. So, while the light fails/On a winter's afternoon, in a secluded chapel/History is now and England
--Eliot, Little Gidding

Geoffrey of Tournemine

Post by Geoffrey of Tournemine » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:44 am

"i agree with Earl Arundel. In the midst of a crusade, you would seek vengeance on a man doing gods good work? I could not support such an action and keep a clear conscience," Geoffrey states. He was no Crusading zealot, but he was a man that believed in the righteousness of god.

D10 EA, Religion, TN 10: 1d20 3

1 success against the coup.
Knight Baron Geoffrey of Crahen, of the house Tournamine * Glory: 1175 * House: de Blondeville * Striking * Flirtatious
Legendary Passion: Energetic * Traits: Red Hair, Bright Eyes, Charming Accent
Clothing: Noble clothing, sword
Battle gear: Chainmail, Shield, Battle Axe, Dagger
Speaks: French, Latin, Occitan